Online Real Money Gaming Rules: INDIAN GOVERNMENT Separates Online Gaming and Real Money Gaming- India has become a rapidly increasing market for smartphone users which has led to a massive increase in online and mobile gaming. But many people are still confused and often mix up online gaming with online betting, and other real money-involved gaming apps. Today, the Ministry of Information and Technology has taken a huge step in this direction and announced crucial rules which differentiate online gaming from real money gaming.
Online Real Money Gaming Rules: INDIAN GOVERNMENT Separates Online Gaming and Real Money Gaming
Although digital space is still not fully regulated, the Indian Government has been active in formulating laws that can protect the online users of our country.
In the notification released by the Ministry of Information and Technology on April 6, the government has tried to define the parameters of online gaming and real money gaming.
According to the Gazette, an “online game” means a game that is offered on the Internet and is accessible by a user through a computer resource or an intermediary. Meanwhile, an “online real money game” has been defined as an online game where a user makes a deposit in cash or kind with the expectation of earning winnings on that deposit. It includes the distribution of cash prizes to a user based on their performance and in accordance with the rules of the online game.
Here are some steps taken by the Indian Government to differentiate these two categories more clearly:
- It is mandatory for online gaming intermediaries and publishers must inform their users of this change as soon as possible or within twenty-four hours.
- Online game companies must also publish this message in a clearly visible manner on the home page of their website or the home screen of their mobile-based application.
- Online gaming companies shall display a demonstrable and visible mark of verification by a self-regulatory body on permissible online real money games.
- Policies related to withdrawal or refund of the deposit of winnings, the manner of distribution of such winning amounts, and the fees and other charges payable by the user.
- Know-Your-Customer (KYC) procedure for verifying the identity of the users in online real money games as regulated by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Measures were taken for safeguarding the users’ deposits for online real money games.
There are also other rules and regulations that have been introduced to define online real money games more clearly.
Stay tuned with us to get the latest updates regarding PC, console, and mobile gaming from around the world.
Read More- The Rise of the Indian Gaming Industry: A Look at the Upcoming Gaming Titles by Indian developers