With over 100,000 cases of coronavirus and 3497 deaths worldwide, the disease has spread quickly in few days to become an epidemic. At present 41,000 + cases are currently infected by the virus with 6100+ in critical condition.
The virus is thought to have originated in a seafood market where wildlife was sold illegally in Wuhan, China. The scientists have pointed to either bats or snakes as the possible source for the virus outbreak.
Considering the global health crisis arising from the virus many esport organizations have cancelled or postponed the tournaments worldwide for security reasons. Here is the list of major tournaments that had an impact of the COVID – 19 :
- Activision Blizzard was forced to cancel Overwatch League games in South Korea.
- IEM Katowice 2020 was closed for the public in the Playoffs.
- PUBG cancelled PGS Chinese Qualifiers and postponed Berlin’s event which was to be held in April 2020.
- TJ Sports, organiser of the Chinese LPL decided to continue the matches online.
- Rocket League Season season 9 World Championship live event cancelled which was scheduled for April 24-26 in Dallas, Texas.
- Twitch cancels TwitchCon Amsterdam event.
- Hearthstone’s Masters Tour Los Angeles is now Online.
- TEKKEN, SOUL CALIBUR World Tours rescheduled.
- League of Legend Champions Korea got suspended.
- The LEC Spring Finals 2020 has been moved from Budapest to Berlin.
- Apex Legends Global Series, Major postponed.
- EA SPORTS FIFA 2020 Global Series Conmebol eLibertadores online and live event postponed.
- FreeFire Champions Cup 2020 postponed which was scheduled for April 19 in Jakarta.
The organizers have reached this decision to ensure the safety and health of the players and fans. More events are been cancelled every day resulting in heartbreak for the fans all over the world.
Read More – IEM Katowice 2020 get the new Champions